Answer Key: Study Guide on the Bible and the Occult
Please note: answer key based on King James Version of the Bible
I. A. The occult involves hidden knowledge, mysterious, esoteric, relating to supernatural agencies, magical.
I. B. Witchcraft, psychic phenomena, superstition, luck, trans-channeling (seances, mediums), ouija boards, ESP, ghosts, vampires, monsters false cults, spiritism, astrology, fortune telling, mind-expanding drugs, satanic cults, transcendental meditation, etc.
I. C. The Munsters, Bewitched, The Great Kreskin, The Exorcist, Psychic Magazines, Kiss, Black Sabbath.· The Eagles, Marilyn Manson, Jean Dixon, etc.
II. A. Necromancy, child sacrifice, divination (fortune telling). black magic serpent charming, medium, enchantments; observing times, Do not regard them that have familiar spirits or wizards, no marks or tattoos on body for idols.
II. B. 1. defiled.
2. lies, land, perish.
3. vanity, lie, false dreams, in vain.
II. C. 1. They are an abomination to God and will be cast out of the land.
2. God will turn His face against them and they will be lost.
3. Shall not inherit the Kingdom of God, will be cast into the lake of fire (second death), and cannot enter the City of God.
III. A. Yes.
B. god, blinded, believe not.
C. apostles, righteousness, angel of light, Satan.
E. He obeyed not the Word, and he consulted a familiar spirit or medium.
F. He consulted Beelzebub, god of Ekron, instead of the God of Israel.
G. Does not profit, is wearying, it cannot save from the wrath to come; is as stubble -- no power to deliver from the fire, no fire to be warmed by, will bring disaster and calamity = absolutely worthless as a guide to daily life and conduct.
IV. A. 1. powers. rulers of darkness, spiritual wickedness.
2. mighty, strongholds, imaginations, exalteth, knowledge, captivity.
3. a. What is in your heart determines what kind of life you will have.
b. anxious thoughts and offensive ways; deceitfulness; hardness or callousness; evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander; unforgiveness; doubt; bitterness, captivity to sin and heart not right before God; lack of God's love (hate); double-mindedness; foolishness, futile thinking, and darkness.
B. 1. truth.
3. gospel of peace.
C. 1. The Blood of Jesus. Power to redeem us from empty way of life and man's traditions (I Peter 1:19); purifies us from sin (I John 1:7) releases us from legalism, the Old Covenant (Hebrews 8:6); Cleanses our consciences (Hebrew 9:14; 10:21); allows us to draw near to God in full assurance of faith (Hebrews 10:19-22).
2. The Word of Our Testimony. Wins converts to the Kingdom of God (Matthew 28:19, Mark 15:15-16; Romans 10:14-15); brings Jesus' Coming closer and thus Satan's final downfall (Matthew 24:14); shows Satan to be a liar because God has kept His promises in our lives (John 8:44; 2 Corinthians 1:19-20); encourages the brethren (Hebrews 10:24-25).
IV. C. 3. The Word of God or the Sword of the Spirit: Guides us in the right way (Psalms 119:105; Isaiah 30:21; John. 14:6); Cleanses us (Ephesians 5:26); Warns us (Psalms 119:11); Keeps us from sin (Psalms 119:l1); Convicts of sin (Psalms 19:13; 1 John 1:9); reveals wrong attitudes (Hebrews 4:12); Tests the spirits (1 John 4:i); Reveals the devil's wiles and devices (Ephesians 6:11; II Corinthians 2:11); Fights and defeats satan in temptation (Matt. 4:1-11); Provides escape from temptation (I Corinthians 10:13); Strengthens and sustains us (Nehemiah 8:10; Psalms 28:7; 29:11; 46:1, etc.); Keeps us from being easily offended or angered (Psalms 119:165; Proverbs 29:l1; Ephesians. 4:26); Source of Power (Acts 1:8); Prevails against the gates of hell (Matt. 16:18); Reminds of the victory Jesus has already won over satan (Ephesians 1:19-22, 2:6); Gives confidence (Philippians 1:6); Power of the hammer and of fire (Jeremiah 23:29); Brings spiritual maturity (Ephesians 4:14-15; Hebrews 5:11-14); Teaches forgiveness (Matthew 6:15); Brings faith (Romans 10:17).
4. Prayer and/or Fasting: Breaks bondages and yokes (Isaiah 58:6); Guidance (Isaiah 58:11); Gives extra spiritual power to cast out demons (Mk 9:29); Provides all our needs (Matthew 21:22); Binding and loosing power on earth (Matthew 18:18-19); Intercede on behalf of others, (Ephesians 6:18); brings forgiveness and healing (II Chronicles 7:14); Gets us out of trouble (James 5:13); Brings power of the Holy Spirit into your life (Luke 3:21-22); Promotes unity (Acts 2:42-47); Brings ability to witness and perform miracles (Acts 4:24; 29-31); Raises the dead (Acts 9:36-41; John 11:41-44)
5. The Name of Jesus: The Father will give us whatever we need in Jesus' Name (John 16:23-24); Drives out demons (Mark 16:17); (Luke 10:17); Brings salvation (Acts 2:21; 4:12); Brings healing (James 5:14); Gives strength (Proverbs 18:10).
D. 1. a. Satan.
b. Love; lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, the pride of life; no.
c. Our faith.
d. Conformed, transformed.
e. Philosophy, intellectualism, vain deceit, idle fancies and plain nonsense, human traditions.
2. a. Those that walk in the flesh mind the things of the flesh; this brings death, not life and peace. The flesh is at enmity with God; not subject to the laws of God; and cannot please God.
b. Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, wickedness, deceit, an evil eye, pride, blasphemy, foolishness, lasciviousness, idolatry. witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, strife, seditions, heresies envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, evil thoughts, and thefts.
c. Walk in the Spirit and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Mortify (put to death) the deeds of the body through the Spirit. We do not war after the flesh with carnal weapons, but use spiritual weapons to pull down strongholds, such as any imagination or high things that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing captive every thought to the obedience of Christ. Walking in the Spirit is to have a continuing attitude of reliance on the Holy Spirit, and not on your own resources.
E. 1. Ruler of this world; Prince of the power of the air; the god of this age.
2. Resist the devil and he will flee from you; do not give place to the devil; abstain from all appearance of evil.
3. They do not believe that Jesus Christ came in the flesh; they speak of the world and the world hears then; they will not listen to those who are of God; they do not love the brethren; they do not confess that Jesus is the Son of God; they are fearful or instill fear; they hate their brothers; they do not believe that Jesus is the Christ; they do not keep God's commandments; they are unable to overcome the world.
F. 1. Lord, His might.
2. Whole armor.
7. b. Brings protection from satanic attacks, will cause evil companions to depart and cause that person to begin to think of godly things.
V. D. 6. He must be put to death.
E. 1. Regulations about eating and drinking; keeping of religious festivals to retain salvation; false humility and worship of angels; unscriptural visions and idle notions; the basic principles of this world; human commands and traditions with an appearance of wisdom, self-imposed worship; lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.
2. Deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons; hypocritical liars with seared consciences; forbid marriage; abstain from certain foods; godless myths; old wife's tales; excessive emphasis on physical training.
3. Foolish and stupid arguments; the trap of the devil; captive to do his will.
4. Jewish myths; commands of those who reject the truth.
5. The doctrine that it is God (not the devil) who tempts us.
6. bitter envy, selfish ambition; earthly, unspiritual, devilish wisdom disorder and every evil practice.
7. False prophecies; secretly introducing destructive heresies; denial of the Lord's sovereignty; shameful ways; bring truth into disrepute; greedy; exploit with made-up stories; unrighteousness; follow corrupt desire of the sinful nature; despise authority; bold and arrogant; slander of celestial beings; blasphemy; seek pleasure and carouse in broad daylight; act like beasts; adultery; seduce the unstable; slaves of depravity.
8. The religion of the Anti-Christ; blaspheme and slander God; worship the dragon (satan) and the beast; perform signs and wonders; practice deception; idol (image) worship; mark of the beast: 666.
9. Teaching of Balaam and Jezebel (see also II Peter 2:15-16); enticed by food sacrificed to idols and sexual immorality.
10. The deep secrets of satan.
12. The timing of Christ's return (exact day and hour).
13. Lack of compassion for the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked and the prisoner; failure to discern Christ in the needy.
14. Magic and witchcraft.
15. False teaching of the Pharisees: do not practice what they preach; make heavy burdens for others; religious acts performed for man's approval; hypocritical and full of pride, keep others out of the kingdom; teach others to make oaths; diligent of details (like tithing herbs), but do not practice justice, mercy and faithfulness; emphasis on outward holiness, not heart purity; killed God's prophets; did not recognize the Messiah; blasphemed the Holy Spirit by saying Jesus was possessed by Beelzebub; ceremonial washings and man's traditions.
Please note: These answers were scanned into the computer from a typed copied. There may be mistakes and typos that I didn't catch. If you have any questions please email me firstname.lastname@example.org and I will try to fix it!